Yes, pears are healthy for dogs and dogs can eat pears, without any side effects. But make sure that you remove the seeds and core from pears as they are toxic for dogs and hard to digest. However, whenever you feed any human food to dogs for the first time make sure to monitor them because there is always a possibility of an allergic reaction.
Why should a dog eat pears?
The soluble and insoluble fiber of Pear keeps the gut in good condition. They also help in promoting the good health of probiotic bacteria in the gut. Pear slows down the process of aging as well as improves immunity. They are good for eyesight and hair.
They also help in promoting good heart health. Pears lowers bad cholesterol and promotes good cholesterol. Flavonoids in pear help reduce inflammation and help your dog fight several diseases.
This fruit can also protect from cancers. If your dog is overweight or diabetic then pear is a good treat. It will help your dog lose some extra pounds.
Nutritional value of Pear
- Vitamin- A, C, E, & K
- Polyphenol – antioxidants
How to give pear to your dog?
You can give your dog pears in raw or cooked form.
Method 1: Raw Pear
To serve raw pear you have to wash, remove skin and seeds and let your dog enjoy it.
But if your dog thinks that pear is nothing but a ball you can try this pear cookie recipe.
- 1 pear – mashed without skin and seeds
- ½ cup of oil
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- Make dough from the mixture. You can do it with the hands or with the dough maker.
- Make ring-shaped cookies
- Preheat oven at 300 f for 30 minutes.
- Place the cookies in the oven for an hour then turn to the other side and leave until both sides turn golden brown.
- Once done and cool you can serve it to your dog.
Can pear be harmful to dogs?
- The skin of the pear is hard to digest and can cause indigestion.
- Seeds of pear are also toxic to dogs like that of apples because they contain traces of cyanide.
- Pear core can cause a choking hazard in dogs.
- When you introduce pear first time to your dog, make sure to observe him for any allergic reactions.
- Give him this fruit only as a treat and in moderate quantities, to avoid any type of side effects.
Give pear to your dog without any fear, but make sure to follow the mentioned cautions. Like and share the words and leave your comments below because we love to hear from our readers.